the history of lavoy
Lavoy, Alberta is a small hamlet steeped in prairie history, located along Highway 16 in the County of Minburn No. 27, about 108 km east of Edmonton. Once a bustling stop on the rail line, it now offers a quiet glimpse into Alberta’s rural roots.
Rich in History
The earliest settlers came to the Lavoy area in 1899 or 1900 with homesteading in mind. The Post office opened on October 1, 1903. Lavoy rapidly began to expand after the railway was laid in 1905 and from that point on, the community became a hub of agricultural activity. Lavoy was considered a village when it was incorporated in 1906 and had a population of 115. The town was originally named Dinwoodie, after the first Postmaster Richard Dinwoodie. He held the position from 1903 to 1906.
The village was renamed Lavoy on July 1, 1906 after Joseph Lavoie. Lavoy is the Anglicized version of his name. Mr. Lavoie lived in the village until 1910.
The first and only hotel was called the palmer House and was built in 1905 by Joesph Lavoie. It boasted three floors and 40 rooms. The hotel changed owners quite a few times over the years. In approximately 1955 the top story of the hotel was removed by its then owner John Laschuk. Along with the removal of the third floor, the hotel was renovated extensively.
The first school was opened in 1907 and its first teacher was Miss A. Clark. The school was ran out of an old brick building on the upstairs floor. The red building was condemned a few months later and the school was demolished. In 1908 a year after the first school was demolished a new two room school was built. Sadly that structure burned down in 1919. Lavoy saw its third school built in 1920. If the classes were crowed, classed would be held in other areas around the village including the community hall and a room in the Church. In 1946 a new one room high school was built. In the mid 1950's a larger school was built which featured many classrooms and a gymnasium.
One of the first stores was built and operated by H.B. Hughes (that's this building). T There was another General Store as well that was built by A.H. George. It had several other owners as well.
There was a lumber company called the Hayward Lumber Company which was operated by N.J. Mitchell.
The first garage was built by J.H. Tuck. It was located just south of the highway and was operated as a mini service station. Mr. Tuck also operated the first electric plant.
The first bank was a Royal Bank built in 1908. The bank ran there for two decades and was located in a small building in the lumber yard. The bank moved to the Ladies' Beer Lounge in the hotel. For 43 years, the Royal Bank of Canada stood as a pillar of prairie commerce in Lavoy. From dusty boots to Sunday best, folks passed through its doors to deposit paycheques, secure farm loans, and swap stories with the teller. The vault may be quiet now, but its legacy echoes in every ledger and handshake that built this town.
The Anglican church was the to hold service starting in 1905. It changed locations quite a bit including at the school for 10 years. In 1917 they built their church. The First Baptist Church was built in 1907. The United Church was built in 1927. The Ukrainian Catholics bought their church in 1953, it was the two room Kolomea School of Royal Park.
The community hall was built in 1926 and still holds several functions throughout the year. The hall was extended in 1967 as a centennial project.
Lavoy also boasted a curling rink, skating rink and tennis courts.
Lavoy was also home to 5 grain elevators and a a few livery barns.
In 1920 Dr. and Mrs. Arthur moved from Vegreville to Lavoy. While in Lavoy, Dr. Arthur was a doctor, a druggist, a postmaster and a telephone switchboard operator.
To continue learning about Lavoy, please visit our Blog where we will share stories a few times a month. Please note, once a story has been added to the blog it will be added to this page.

